30.5.06

Gold dust mixed with diamonds

A few years back I looked around my room despairingly and decided that something needed to be done. Usually this equates to something needing buy buying and so it was in this case. The problem: About 1000 CDs, DVDs, and SVCDs. The solution: A set of matching CD cases from the 100 yen shop.

Those of you out there who have done this kind of thing will appreciate why this is a poor idea. Say you want a particular CD - which one of the twenty identical cases to look in first? The inneviatble point where you realise that you have been putting them back onto the "to be looked at pile" meaning you have to go through them all again. You get the message, right?

So in preparation for the upcoming Belle and Sebastian concert this week I was growing increasingly frantic about the whereabouts of my favourite album of theirs, Tigermilk. I had been through all the "one last tries" and looking behind the toilet that accompany this kind of search. I had had the seats out of the car, put my more suspect CD-borrowing friends to the torture and still come up with nothing.

Then I came across a seemingly empty CD wallet. I opened it up and nestled inside were the following CDs:

Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian
The Great Eastern by the Delgados
Wonderland by the Charalatans
Global A-gogo by Joe Strummer

along with the thought-previously-lost entire CD collection on CDMP3 on about 7 discs.

Since then I have been listening to the four CDs listed above and floating around in a kind of fierce joy. These are amongst the best CDs I own and my God how I have been missing them.

6 Comments:

At 6:59 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Excellent.

Losing well loved CD's is always unpleasant. Hurrah for finding them in one piece/place.

Belle and Sebastion.

mmm.

Yummy.

I got 'London Calling' the other day. I know it's a few years too late, but sweet jesus, is that a good album?

Yes! i say.

 
At 7:03 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

I say yes too - getting stuff late allows you to make decent judgements rather than being too much affected by the hype / opinions of friends.

That's the clash we're talking about, right?

B and S - just over thirty quid - I would never dream of spending so much on a gigg but I haven't been to one in such a long time...

 
At 8:21 am, Blogger Kaufman said...

The last time I went to a gig I got in for two shillings and a six pence. And the door bitch gave me a turnip.

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Between daisies said...

Man - free turnips are the bomb! I don't even get a sausage for free with this one. 6,500 yen in and no free drinks or anything. And for a Scottish band too.

 
At 6:48 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Damn right it's 'The Clash' we're talking about.

I never got anything free at a gig.

 
At 11:26 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

Me neither. I did it for love. Never got any of that either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home