22.12.06

Ferry strange indeed - Japanese ferries

Last Thursday was my last day of term, complete with end-of-year-party (bounenkai in Japanese). By the time I got home I was buggered, but still had to pack and stuff my boarding gear in the car.

Up at 5am to make sure I got away on time and didn't miss my boat. Out of the door stuffing sarnies and coffee into my face I managed to get away by 6am. All the way up route eight to Tsuruga in Fukui prefecture. I arrived well ahead of schedule and registered. I was a bit worried as there was a boat but no other customers that I could see. Anyhow, all appeared to be in order and on I got.

I booked the boat a few months in advance, quite reasonably assuming that there would be tons of people heading north for the snow. Onto the boat and park my car behind the other guy. The other guy. Up on inside and order two meals in advance.

It was like being on that boat in Goldeneye the Nintendo game. Everyone is dead, because you have shot them. You've got the whole ship to yourself. There were a total of eight passengers. The only person with a standard class ticket was myself. Which was ironic because I got a huge room to myself while the guys who paid more got these tiny little bunkbed rooms for their cash. Sweet.

Once i was on the boat the seconds dragged and dragged. Luckily I had copious amounts of books and beer. I was able to occupy myself until about 9pm when I finally had a bath and went to bed. All told, not very exciting but hey! it takes 20 hours to get to Akita and I needed the r and r time.

More tomorow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home