28.3.06

Just a quickie

For those of you who don't know what a batting centre is, it is a place with a machine tht fires balls at you so you can hit them with a baseball bat. A good place to go on a Monday night when you have already had a full week of hassle. They come in varying dgrees of quality and newness. The one I went to yesterday was really new - it had a digital picture of a guy throwing the ball - and much better all round - I could hit more of the balls.

The mai nproblem for me with these is that there are often tons of guys better than me and they usually watch while I swing the bat where the ball will be or was. Or often where bat and ball share no destiny, alas. Anyway, yesterday was looking good because it was all school kids who were generally pretty pants.

In goes the money - select speed - select height - Sart butt...

"NICK SNESEI!!"

This is an occupational hazard for Elementary English teachers. If the kids see you outside school they want to come and talk to you. After we had all said hello and asked each other how we were - another occupational hazard - I set-to withthe bat.

Ball one - whoosh!
Kids - Strike!
Nick (internally) - fuck off!

Ball two - whoosh!
Kids - swing and miss!
Me - cockbags!

Ball three - whoosh / ting / thump
Kids - Foul!
Me - My position at school is on the line. This will go round the school in seconds.

Ball four - crack!
Kids - ooooooh!
Me - My standing in the community is safe!

Now I am off to Osaka to look at basses. Having done my homework I have found that my plans for the bass will need modifying. It is possible, nay even likely that the cheap chinese import basses will slap itself to pieces in the year that I plan to use it. Also a factor is thatthere is nowhere I could concieveably put the thing without we take it to bed with us at night so here are my options:

Buy a smaller bass and spend a bit more money.

Get a guitar style bass and amp setup. I can get a decent setup second hand well withing budget.

Buy an electric upright bass and learn to play on that. this one come with headphones but without irate neighbours so this could be a winner. It is a bit more pricey but that's ok because this could be easily transported back to the Uk in about 390 days. The one I am edging towoards is the Aria SWB, which you can see here. Any opinions wlecome. I am concerned that it looks a bit pants.

2 Comments:

At 5:34 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

My friend Cyrus had an excellent Tanglewood electric bass guitar.

Good tone, well balanced, solid construction etc.

I think that would be a better, more practical, albeit somewhat less stylish option than a double bass.

 
At 12:09 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

I think I have decided - there is a slightly damaged one for half price. I think electric upright is the one for me! I might even go to get it on Saturday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home