31.5.06

Modern art with boats

I think this boat would look cool with three control turrets.


Looks like James Bond came through here sometime past.

In all seriousness, I was driving around the other day when I stumbed across a pile of boats. They were mostly fishing boats, though there were one or two dinghies and an Oxford / Cambridge stylie eightman rowboat there too. Stacks of boats are a part of the solution for boat owners, but for the government these are a big issue.

The Japanese use a hell of a lot of stuff. If you go to buy a bottle of water, you will recieve a plastic bag. If you buy a digital camera, you buy one every few years. If you buy toys they come from the hundred yen shop (50p shop) and get broken and thrown away within weeks. A new law has been passed making it illegal to trade in electronics over five years old. The country is consumerismed-up in a big way and the garbage man can't keep up.

I have this garish calendar at home that tells me which day I can put certain kinds of garbage out. Stuff for burning like old food and bits of wood go out twice a week. Glass goes out once every two months, metal alternates with it. Cans get collected by the local school. Anything else is a pain in the proverbial to dispose of.

On a micro scale the boats are the same as anything. If I want to throw my batteries away, I have to take them to the town hall. If I want to throw my futon away (and I desperately do - it is more sweaton that futon), I have to take it to the town hall and pay about five pounds. If I want to chob my fridge in the dustbin I have to pay twenty quid for the pleasure. How much for a boat?

I can't imagine a twnety foot fibreglass boat is going to be cheap to throw away. As you can see, some enterprising farmer has found a way to make a quick buck out of the situation. How long until we start seeing fields full of fridges? Fridges that still work? I think some one needs to have another look at the way the garbage gets dealt with.

7 Comments:

At 6:55 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

'A new law has been passed making it illegal to trade in electronics over five years old'

Is that REALLY true?!?

It sounds ludicrous. There is certainly major issues surrounding that kind of law from an environmental perspective, as you say.

I'm amazed that such a thing can happen.

 
At 11:24 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

You u8nderstand what this does to the market for second-hand guitars and stuff, right?

 
At 1:06 pm, Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Huh? I thought that law didn't get through? I remember reading about mass protests where people took to the streets with their beloved Atari and NES consoles.

When did it pass?

PS: The photos are awesome! :-)

 
At 5:14 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

No vintage Les Paul 1958 goldtops for sale in tokyo then....

 
At 9:11 am, Blogger Between daisies said...

Tim - Cheers. I have tons of photos that I keep meaningto put on here but I always get sidetracked with the Tshirts and toilets.

UTMG - It means any guitar nearing 5 years in the second hand places should be getting really cheap - There is the basis for a good export business there... I'm on the lookout for a fretless bass right now.

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Fretless bass? Make that two. ;-)

 
At 6:49 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

RT - You said you were coming over here some time soon, right? Which bit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home