3.6.06

Ten reasons why Belle and Sebastian were worth about eighty quid

As you will have seen, I went to see Belle and Sebastian the other day. It was fairly pricey at 6,500 円 which is about thirty five quid. I also bought a ticket for Candice for her birthday so I could kid myself into thinking that I was too nice for my own good. This is why I paid:

  1. Belle and Sebastian write good music with strong lyrics and have never, to my knowledge, written a bubblegum song that doesnt mean anything.
  2. The venue was pretty good and we got to stand really close to the band.
  3. They played a bunch of my favourite songs off one of their older albums.
  4. They played for two hours without stopping or sending on a crappy support band.
  5. They use real instruments. I saw a trumpet, a cello, a violin, a pianica (I hate these but it is a valid instrument) a xylophone, a little battery operated organ and all the usual guitars and basses. These guys do not mess about with synthesizers when they can use the real article.
  6. The lead singer came out into the crowd to give a prize to a girl for the best dancing. By a staggering coincidence she was also really pretty. I am not one of these people who gets off on touching celebs but we did brush shoulders.
  7. When they came out to do the encore they asked what we wanted to hear (though they didnt play any of the songs I was shouting for).
  8. The crowd for this kind of concert are always really friendly. It is something to do with the genre. People who like intelligent music don't tend to like fighting for the sake of it. And anyway, this is Japan and the hooligans tend to stick to riding round on motorbikes without mufflers (not the clothing, the bit of the bike that makes the engine a bit quieter).
  9. The next time a good band will come to Japan, particularly soewhere close to me, is probably autumn.
  10. I needed to get back into this kind of thing. next stop UK in festival season!

6 Comments:

At 2:56 pm, Blogger Kaufman said...

'People who like intelligent music don't tend to like fighting for the sake of it.'

I don't get the sake reference.

You know the old adage that it only takes one derailed intelligent music fan to empty a venue, don't you? Well, I have it on good authority that this adage has been altered to include the "overworked English sensei" into the bargain.

The therapeutical benefits of attending a live music gig has been documented since a few decades BC.

 
At 6:11 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

Sorry - that was a poorly constructed sentence. I meant fighting for the sake of fighting. Mate - Saturday fighting for the sake of sake, in sakae, Nagoya.

 
At 1:44 pm, Blogger Kaufman said...

Your sentence was fine. I was just being a dick.

I won't be fighting for the sake of sake. I'll be drinking for the sake of getting drunk (while) drinking sake. BTW, no word from Masa yet.

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Would I have been the only No.8 in the crowd then?

Alright!

Sounds like a worthy investment.

The most I paid for tickets was £120 for my brother and I to see the Stones. That's in august.

Definitely more of a biker crowd. At least it used to be, until Altamont...

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

You going on your bike?

 
At 11:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CANDICE SAYS:

You are a darling Nick, and that was the most expensive birthday present I have received from anyone....outside of my parents and I held them at gunpoint!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home