14.9.06

Why do you have such a downer on living in Japan, UTR?

OK, OK - I know I go on about being a bit tired of it all and really I do generally quite like it here. A few people were a bit interested in my philosophical asides on Japanese culture, so I thought I would go for another. Pehaps think of this as a cautionary note for future visitors to these green and brown shores.

The facts:

We were on our way to buy M a new Nintendo DS lite prior to heading off seaking thrills, spills and automobills in the mythic land of Mie. We were on a smallish suburban road perhaps two minutes from the town centre.

The road we were on meets a rail-line for the Omi-tetsudo (the most expensive railway in the country). There was a guy in his big boxy van in front. He slows down almost to a stop, looks both ways and then off he goes. All of a sudden a copper appeared out from behind a tree and hares off after him blowing on his whistle. The guy was rumbled.


The supposition:

We are off into the realms of possibilities now, but I very strongly suspect that this guy has been collared for not stopping at the crossing. Though he stopped, looked both ways and then went, he has probably been copped on a technicality. I suspect that either his wheels were still rotating minutely or that he didn't stop for some proscribed ammount of time. So he obeyed the law in intent and did nothing too seriously wrong, but he got done on the letter of the law.

This kind of thing is not unusual. This is part of Japanese life training, a basic part of their social education. Where there is a protocol it gets stuck to. The japanese are great masters of methodology and process. This is what fuelled the economic miracle of the 80's and the subsequent failure to predict that the bubble would burst. So the cops here have a manual and that is good enough for them.

I don't really ever have problems with the police, save one time when my friend Rob and I accidentally wandered into a hostess bar and got hit by a huge bill that we weren't willing to pay without making our displeasure felt. "Right then," I said, "call them!"

The same thinking is also there in the banks, the post office, the town hall, the schools, the trains, the whole works. The Japanese have grown up with these little bits of bureaucratic nonesense and so that is their benchmark. This drives me nuts because it wastes my time (I have the patience of a hung-over Rotweiler) and it means I get sidetracked into these crusades "to change things for the better".

The Japanese mentality extends into everyday life. Particularly into conversation, which is somethign I enjoy extremely. To put it simply, the Japanese talk in exasketch - basic objects connected by lines. Wheras, in comparison, westerners talk in picassos and sculptures. This means that despite a strong command of the language I still struggle to express more elaborate ideas because the Japanese do not use them very often. Japanese culture, and in particular spoken language, is really simple. I make no judgement about which is best I am just telling it the way I see it here.

So, as a language teacher you can imagine that this causes some problems at work. As opposed to somewhere like France or Spain, just teaching the units that make the sentences and pointing out the differences with the native language is not enough. The concientious teacher has to teach the student how to construct a conversation or paragraph in English. General Macarthur, the American put in charge of Japan after the second world war, was famously quoted as describing the Japanese as "a nation of twelve year olds". While I think this sentiment is trash, I think I can see how he might have come to this conclusion having talked to several Japanese people by this stage.

So if you want to know why I am so badly itching to leave Japan (as distinguished from getting back to my family and the UK) it is becuase of the evil menace of bureaucracy, it's fingers in every pie, and the lack of a good chat now and again.

Of course this all boils down to my view of bureaucracy and what a good chat is.

4 Comments:

At 4:40 am, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Hmm.

I think I catch your drift.

I have a somewhat romantic view of Japan in the feudal, old world sense born of reading 'Shogun.'

You must have to be extremely experienced in speaking Japanese to convey more existential ideas.

Which I would imagine takes years of patience and technicalities.

 
At 9:00 am, Blogger Between daisies said...

To be honest, in many ways hasn't changed much from the Feudal system. The technology has moved on but socially and philosophically things are still organised top to bottom. Therefore what's good for 70 year old men is good for the country. What's good for a fifty year old man is good for the family. What's good for the doctor is good for the patient.

Not necessarily a bad thing and it did very well for the Japanese during the eighties. I am very much a meritocracy type of person. I am used to the person with the skills and talent being in charge at least sometimes. I will give you an example:

All the teachers of English in the Japanese junior high school system are Japanese. Around 60% of them cannot hold a basic conversation in English and less than 5% are what I would consider as being qualified to teach the language. The JHS system also pays Millions of pounds to ship in in excess of 5000 foreigners a year to help. Why not train these guys better and have the Japanese guys "help" them instead? Go and ask those 70 year old guys in Tokyo.

Like I said, the problem lies with me. i can't leave it alone. I see a problem, i want to fix it. I suppose I am worried that once i let my standards slip on a regular basis I will be in the realm of cutting the lawn in my underpants with Bill Hicks' and every other dad. And i am not ready for that yet.

 
At 6:18 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Hmm.

Upholding one's principals is so much harder than letting them slip, is it not?

The logic with the teachers does seem somewhat skewed. There must be a huge grey area somewhere between you communicating with the pupils and the japanese teachers communicating with you.

I wonder how long it will take for this to change?

 
At 6:34 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

yep - I wonder too. There is no huge force for change at the mment and the guys in charge are all busy protecting their own jobs. Not to worry/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home