6.4.06

Danger Zone - 1 Posh Danger


Every year in March, aproximately one sixth of the teachers are moved on to a new school. I am not sure why, though it is a central policy. In any case, there is a leaving do where you can get drunk and eat japanese food for pretty high cost. these things are always a bit of a trial to me, not because of the company but because of the food. Those of you who think that japanese food starts and stops with sushi can think again. Some of it is excellent, though some of it makes me physically sick.

To give you an idea of how it works I have stuck a picture at the top with a guide below.

Bottom middle - This looks like a slice of grilled fish. It is just that, an innocent piece of salmon. Very little danger here.

Bottom right - This looks like some kind of vegetable. It is! but beware, this could have been almost anything. Potential danger in this kind of dish.

Bottom left - This looks like some kind of excretion in a pot. I would not be surprised to find this in a pyramid next to a dead king. This one has high potential danger but was in fact a mixture of miso paste (from beans) and some kind of slightly bitter herbiage. Not bad.

Upper middle - Danger! Danger! You need to be careful of this kind of thing because it might be raw. In fact it was a pair of raw cephalopod carcasses filled with mustardy stuff. Personally, I would never eat this again as I was near tears and virtually vomiting where I stood the first time I had this. Moderate danger here.

Upper right - There was a little shape and contextual danger here. Japanese chefs have been known to make stuff that looks like this out of fish. However, this was quite nice.

Upper left - Run for the hills! This one of those "aquired tastes" like tripe and martini. We are old friends, we are. Only a few months back my friend Rob was horribly sick after eating some of this. Raw squid in sauce. Do not mix with beer unless you have a stomach of iron and a will of diamond.

The overall score for this number was four out of six: I could eat four of them. But it looks nice, eh? Previous episodes have contained, but not been limited to;
  • Raw chicken
  • Raw horse
  • Cooked fish heads
  • Fermented fish
This is just the stuff that I knew about. Half of the time stuff comes in lumps and you either leave it or put your faith in God or alcohol, whichever you trust the most. Hopefully this should be a recurring theme.

7 Comments:

At 5:16 pm, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

That's probably the scariest meal i have ever seen.

I don't like the upper middle or upper left dishes at all.

Cooked squid? Fine.

Raw squid? Go and rearrange your cells!!

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Between daisies said...

This was just a section of the whole - I should have mentioned it before... So far as I know, there are only three things, three food items, that I cannot eat in the whole country. The raw squid in a pot is one, the fermented tuna intestines are a second and raw sea urchin is the third.

Obviously the reverse is true, too. There is some stuff that the Japanese hear of in the UK that makes them heave. For some reason, Lamb is not popular.

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger reverendtimothy said...

Mmm... sounds good to me!

I had rare duck last weekend, and I've also tried just about everything on your list there except raw horsemeat.

*licks lips* Bring it on! Hahaha

 
At 9:47 pm, Blogger Kaufman said...

Do you remember that night we went out for that M&C dinner and got slaughtered and (probably) ate stuff we had next to no concrete information about (talking more about me than you)?

All right then. How about afterwards when we took a piss in public and then ran off leaving that racist fuck behind?

Or am I mixing two distinct moments into one?

It's so hard keeping track of the past as we did drink a lot to escape the reality of Nova Scotia.

Mmmm. Raw cephalopod carcasses.

P.S. Rod's outta here come golden four days.

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger Kaufman said...

I've yet to taste raw horse. Every time it's on offer, I ask the staff, using telepathic means and body languge, whether it's won any races. I won't eat raw horse unless it's won at least one race because, after all, if they're expecting me to pay for the privilege then it better be a sample I can't catch and dump onto the table myself.

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger Between daisies said...

We've had a plethor of responses in the last few days. I was just about to give UTMG a special post becuase he is the only one reading - then I decided there was not much point recommending him to himself.

Rodoh is off then? He mentioned Tokyo, is that still on?

 
At 8:09 am, Blogger Kaufman said...

Yep. He's staying on with the Dancing in Berlitz crew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home